Camp Toccoa Timeline
1930's : Camp is built by the WPA to serve the National Guard
1941: United States declares war on Germany, Italy and Japan
1942: Camp Toccoa Opens to train paratroopers
506 PIR - 101st Airborne Division ( July 20, 1942 - November 15, 1942)
501 PIR - 101st Airborne Division (November 15, 1942 - March 15, 1943)
511 PIR - 11th Airborne Division (January 5, 1943 - March 23, 1943)
517 PIR - 1st. 17th, 82nd & 13th Airborne Division (March 15, 1943 - August 8th, 1943)
1943 295th Ordnance Heavy Maintenance Company (FA) (click here for link) locates to camp for training (July 21-Nov. 24)
1943: The 38th Signal Construction Battalion was at Camp Toccoa from July until late Oct 1943.
1944 - 45: German POW's located to camp for incarceration
1950's State of Georgia Detention Center - singer James Brown was an inmate at the facility as a juvenile
1969: Camp Toccoa property purchased by the Stephens County Development Authority (SCDA)
1970: SCDA sells property to Milliken and Co. who builds Humphrey Plant on the site
2009: Airborne Monument dedicated at Camp Toccoa Entrance
2011 Pacolet-Milliken donates Camp Toccoa Property to the Stephens County Historical Society
2012: Camp Toccoa at Currahee Project is incorporated and becomes a 501(c)(3) non-profit entity.
Camp Toccoa celebrates 70th Anniversary with the 1st annual D-Day Run/ Memorial Service.
2013: General David Petraeus agrees to join the Camp Toccoa at Currahee Board.
2014: Clean - up and restoration of HQ begins
2015: HQ bathrooms added; ARC Grant application submitted
2016: Guard shack erected from original materials; ARC Grant awarded; Pavilion work begins
2017: Pavilion completed; grading for barracks and bathhouse finished; C47 donated. Memorial Day and
Veterans Day ceremonies are conducted in the pavilion are open to the public and well attended.
2018: All 4 barrack foundations are completed; Barrack 1 constructed using original panels from Camp Toccoa
structures. Barrack 1 painted and opened to visitors. Barrack 4 floor constructed and covered.
2019: Barrack Gift Shop constructed in HQ building and opens to the public the weekend before D-Day. HVAC, Video Whiteboard installed in HQ building. Camp open to visitors on Saturdays and holidays.
Launch of brick sales to raise funds for Project C-47. Launch of online store. Barrack 4 is constructed.
2020: Barrack 1 “506th” finished (including HVAC) available for rent; Project C 47 -C 47 fuselage painted; fuselage placed on landing gear; C47 moved to parking lot.
2021: Project C47 windows installed; C47 floors installed and painted; C 47 moved to newly installed concrete pads ( final display spot); New signs for buildings.